Having a pet has plenty of benefits for both animal and human. Here are nine health benefits you and your family might gain from bringing a pet into your home:
1. Children exposed to animals tend to develop stronger immune systems. The presence of a pet in the home might actually reduce a child’s chances of developing allergies. (Dr. James E. Gern, University of Wisconsin at Madison, via Animal Planet)
2. Animals can be icebreakers. Didn’t you see “Must Love Dogs”? A pet is a perfect excuse to approach that cute stranger at the park. Just make sure Fido doesn’t start getting fresh with your new friend. That’s no kind of story to tell the grandkids.
3. Pets are good for your heart. They can help decrease blood pressure, triglyceride levels and cholesterol (Centers for Disease Control)
4. Dog owners who regularly walk their dogs are less likely to be obese. (National Institutes of Health)
5. Pets can help relieve stress and boost self-esteem. Pets are being used to help service men and women overcome Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. (CNN).
6. Amusing pet tricks can make you smile, which raises serotonin levels. (Huffington Post)
7. Taking care of a pet can help a child with ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) learn focus through responsibility.
8. Children with autism can gain increased social skills through living in a home with a pet. (Medical News Today)
9. Pets provide companionship. If you have a pet, someone is always around to listen to you. (Prevention.com)
Tempted? Contact Animal Welfare League of Arlington to learn more about how to adopt your newest family member.