Ahh, December....There's no better synonym for the holidays. The first day of December is an exciting reminder for all of us that the year is coming to an end... and considering how crazy a year 2016 has been, this is definitely good news. December is the time when we reconnect with friends and family to celebrate our accomplishments and prepare exciting plans and goals for the new year.
As you cozy up with a cup of hot chocolate and your significant other, we ask you to consider not only those closest to you, but also the people you might not know as well. Whether it's for a neighbor, a coworker, or a stranger on the street, we've put together a list of 31 random acts of kindness you can practice every day this month to put a smile on somebody's face and spread the holiday cheer.
1. Smile at someone when they look your way.
2. Call a relative you haven't spoken to in a while.
3. Compliment someone.
4. Pick up litter.
5. Give a gift to your neighbor (even something as small as a card and a candy cane).
6. Tell your parents/guardians you love them.
7. Pay for the person behind you at a coffee shop or café.
8. Offer to help someone with their bags.
9. Hold the door open for someone.
10.Write someone a love letter.
11. Offer to do the dishes.
12. Donate clothes you don't wear.
13. Let someone ahead of you in line.
14. Write holiday cards to be donated to Cards for Hospitalized Kids.
15. Invite someone over for dinner.
16. Text someone that you are thinking of them.
17. Leave a generous tip for your barista or server.
18. Assemble a care package for our military heroes and send it to Operation Gratitude.
19. Tell someone you are grateful for him/her.
20. Bring a treat to work to share with your coworkers.
21. Give a homeless person a blanket or some food.
22. Make a donation to a nonprofit through AmazonSmile.
23. Offer your seat on the bus or Metro to someone.
24. Offer to give a friend a back rub.
25. Buy someone flowers.
26. Donate children's toys to a hospital or a charity like Toys For Tots.
27. Write someone a thank you note just for being themselves.
28. Babysit for a friend's children.
29. Leave a nice comment on a YouTube video or Instagram picture.
30. Offer directions to someone who seems lost.
30. Say "hi" to a stranger.
31. Give a friend a hug.
Remember, "No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." - Aesop.
We hope that you've been inspired by this list. Do good feel good!